Match Reports

Sunday 8th January

Pinner under 13s unbeaten in 2012!

Pinner U13 22 – Old Abbotstonians 19

A BRILLIANT 80-metre run by full back Kai Gordon four minutes from time produced a late winner for Pinner in a tough and hard-fought match.

Abbotsonians, whose numbers were brought up to 15 by a few Pinner players, scored three tries in the opening half, two of which were converted. In the second half, the entire Pinner squad went into top gear and scored all of their 22 points.

Kai scored the first of his two tries ran on to a pop pass from a ruck to crash over. Then after a lot of pressure Charlie Gasgoine used his power off a tap penalty to force his way over the tryline through three tackles.

Pinner produced one of their best attacking moves of the season through the hands from scrum half to winger and George Sanders was desperately unlucky to be stopped short of the line. From the resulting scrum, scrum half Tom Roycroft-Davis dodged down the blind side to touch down.

Abbostonians thought they’d scored a winner when their best player ran the length of the field but failed to touch the ball down over the try line. Then came Kai’s dramatic try to put Pinner ahead, and Tom R-D’s conversion made sure of victory.

Pinner’s pack, helped by some of the U12s, put up a superb fighting effort in the second half, and the backs showed some great handling.



Today’s damp, dreary weather signalled a typical day for British rugby as Pinner hosted a 4 team tournament today.

Old Redingensians, Reading Abbey and Fullerians made their way to Shaftesbury Playing Fields for a 6 match round robin in front of a 100 or so spectators.

All of the matches were incredibly well-fought and close, with no one side looking that much stronger, although Old Redingensians are top of the Berkshire League 1.

After 3 hours of playing, the final table was

1.    Old Redingensians          6 points

2.    Fullerians                           2 points

3.    Reading Abbey                 2 points

4.    Pinner                                 2 points

Points scored were used to separate 2, 3 and 4.

Match of the day for Pinner was the tussle with Fullerians. Both sides having narrowly lost their opening game, it was apparent that the sides were well matched. Powerful running from William Reubin and debutante Jay Hutchinson saw us go close twice, before team captain Dominic Seiler powered over for our first try; Harrison Davies’ conversion agonisingly kissing the upright for a 5 – 0 lead. Just before half time and flanker William Reubin scored between the posts for a 12 – 0 lead. The second half continued in much the same vein, with strong defensive work by Jonathan Hill and Bradley Stevenson, the smallest and the tallest on the pitch respectively, before Dominic scored again for a 17 – 0 lead, with Harrison’s conversion this time hitting the cross bar! Fullerians pulled a consolation try back with a few minutes to go for a final score of 17 – 5.

A terrific day’s rugby – next week we’re off to Harpenden for the final match of the season. The smell of victory is in the air!

Sunday 14th November

Under 14s Middlesex Herts Div 6 – Pinner & Grammarians Vs Kilburn Cosmos

17 – 10

Bottom of the table Pinner hosted Kilburn Cosmos on Remembrance Sunday at their Hatch End home. Following a well respected two minutes, Kilburn had the better of the opening period and they went close twice in the first fifteen minutes, once dropping the ball when over the try line and later diving and touching down a yard and a half short. However, Pinner were winning most of the scrums and a lot of work on the training ground was beginning to pay dividends.

Later in the half there was some powerful running from both sides with Tyler Hone, Bradley Stevenson and David Wilkinson most prominent for Pinner, but the final ball failed to impress and equally committed tackling brought the runners to ground. Evenly matched throughout, half time was reached at 0-0

Rain began falling heavily in the second half and the slippery conditions served to open up the game and Kilburn drew first blood. Missed tackles allowed their number 12 to slide over in the corner for an unconverted try. Pinner’s reply was instantaneous with a thirty yard break by Bradley Smith which culminated with him offloading ten yards from the tryline to winger Adam Rees who skipped beyond Kilburn’s tackles to score behind the posts. Harrison Davies easily converted the try and all of a sudden Pinner had a lead that they were never to lose.

The game was beginning to flow from end to end but once again, Pinner’s skill in the scrum showed. Bradley Stevenson, Captain for the first time, picked up the ball from a scrum on the halfway line and set off on an unstoppable diagonal run that saw him go over in the corner. The range with a wet ball was just beyond Davies’ boot and the scores were 12 – 5. Kilburn were far from out of it and Pinner had to maintain their concentration levels. There were two scores in the last three minutes. Pinner’s front row drove the maul forward and the ball came to the hands of No 8, Tyler Hone whose 25 yard solo effort, over in the corner, sealed the match. During the final play, Kilburn were gifted a consolation 5 points but the day belonged to Pinner. Pinner’s David Wilkinson was named Man of the Match but there were many, many contenders in what was our finest performance to day.

Sunday 10th October



The long-promised Indian summer greeted us at a bustling Brayswick Sports Grounds early Sunday morning.

Boasting the largest squad Pinner had yet assembled, the long queues to park and even longer walk to the pitches did nothing to deter a Pinner side that was keen to right the wrongs of the previous week’s lacklustre display.

Drawn against the hosts themselves for our first of three matches, the coaches instilled in the players the need not to concede an early try and it was the most pleasant of surprises when Amir Singh went over for his first try for the club in the first minute!  Capitalising on powerful runs from forwards Tyler Hone and Dominic Seiler, the ball was channelled to fly half Piers Marx-Carr who popped it wide to Amir who accelerated away from outside their 22 and over. A mere 6 more minutes passed before Daniel Villamil, our determined loose head, went over for a 10 – 0 lead. Once again, ferocious tackling and driving from Tyler and Dominic saw a 20 yard gain before the ball went to 6′2″ lock Bradley Stevenson. With his usual tenacity, “Big” Brad made a solid 12 yards before a short pass to Daniel on the 5 metre line and we were on our way. The second half saw centre Adriaan Viljoen make his club debut and a crunching tackle in his 1st minute on the pitch certainly made his intentions known! 3 minutes into the second half and we switched off for the briefest of moments, allowing their outside centre too much space and he completed a long solo run with an unconverted try for a 10 – 5 score line. The best was yet to come! With 2 minutes left on the clock, a huge driving maul led to possibly our best ever try! Dominic Seiler broke out and made nearly 10 yards against 3 of their players before passing to David Wilkinson, the other lock. David drove forward, went to ground and presented to Jamie Benevides who ducked 3 tackles before a short pass to Adam Stone, our centre. He made 3 yards before Big Brad took it over after a fine 20 yard run, with our 3rd try being well converted by Harrison Davies for a 17 – 5 result.

Due to scheduling issues, our next match was a 2 hour wait which did nothing to enhance the boys’ concentration.

Next up was Reeds Weybridge, certainly a force to be reckoned with. Quick hands and an even quicker winger saw Reeds take a 5 – 0 lead after a mere 45 seconds. Pinner, however, responded well and the rest of the half was spent in the middle of the pitch, with possession split equally but neither side looking likely to score. Worthy of mention through were some huge tackles by Jonathan Hill, our winger and Adam Stone and Jamie Benevides. The second half continued in much the same vein, although a couple of powerful Pinner scrums nearly saw us break free but a loose pass allowed their No 8 to score a great solo try which, once converted, led to Pinner trailing 12 – 0. Further strong passages of play saw some great defensive work, especially from Adriaan, Jamie, Big Brad, Jonathan and Dominic plus some really intelligent and deft play from new scrum half Jack Garraway but, with the whistle about to be blown, Reeds scraped over in the corner for a 0 – 17 final score.

Disappointing but still all to play for as we were 2nd in the table!

This was the match that decided the runner up’s position but, once again, a lengthy break of nearly 2 hours did nothing to help. 2 try saving tackles from Dominic Seiler and a superb, darting run from defence with a massive booted clearance at the end from Adam Stone were not enough to stop 3 quick, too-easily conceded tries in the 3rd, 4th and 5th minutes for a 0-19 score line. To the boys credit, they persevered and a quick-thinking tap ‘n go from Adam Rees saw him over for a 5 – 19 half time score line but with Pinner in the ascendancy, looking dangerous. Unfortunately the break saw Alton score a too – easy try between the posts before 2 tap ‘n goes in succession by Bradley Stevenson and an 8 yard run made it 10 – 26. For commendation were 2 big tackles from Jamie Benevides and Adam Rees against much bigger opposition followed by a try-saving double tackle by Dominic Seiler but, with seconds to go, a poor clearance was charged down by their lanky no 5 for a final score of 10 – 33 and a 3rd place finish for the boys.

There were no players of the day as everyone made their contributions but special mention to debutante Adriaan Viljoen for 3 solid performances; a welcome arrival and a true asset to the team!


Matthew Andreou; Jamie Benevides; Harrison Davies; Jack Garraway; Ben George; Callum George; Jonathan Hill; Tyler Hone; Dillon Maloney; Piers Marx-Carr; Adam Rees; Dominic Seiler (c): Amir Singh; Bradley Smith; Bradley Stevenson; Adam Stone; Adrian Viljoen; Daniel Villamil; David Wilkinson.

Sunday 26th September

PINNER U14S VS BEACONSFIELD (H)  LOST 48 – 24 to the wind

The classic game of 2 halves!

Kicking into the wind and slightly uphill, Pinner carried on where they finished last season by taking far too long to switch on and concentrate.

12 – 0 down within 4 minutes of the kick off, they were struggling to get their hands on the ball at all. Spirited defensive work from Dominic Seiler, Bradleys Smith and Stevenson and Tyler Hone couldn’t stem the one-way traffic and the score stood at a lamentable 24 – 0 before the shoots of recovery took hold.

A powerful solo run from Tyler Hone down the right wing saw him held up in a maul on their try line. The ball popped out into the dead ball area and Bradley Stevenson was first to react, diving onto the loose ball to secure 5 much-needed points for the home side.

Unfortunately, well-orchestrated and disciplined play from Beaconsfield saw them surge on to a 43 – 5 half time lead.

Most generously, Beaconsfield removed 2 of their players to allow us back into the contest and that, coupled with the dulcet tones of the 3 coaches’ half time team talk, reaped their rewards as, after a mere 5 minutes, Bradley Stevenson powered through to score his second, which was ably converted by Harrison Davies.

More was yet to come, with Jonathan Hill living up to his nickname of “Speedy” by outpacing his markers down the right wing to bring the score to 43 – 22, with Harrison adding another 2 with a fine kick. Beaconsfield reintroduced their missing players but 6 minutes later and Speedy had his brace after another twisting run, Harrison’s kick falling a mere metre short. The visitors then scored an impressive solo effort and the score was 48 – 24 when Jonathan went down under a pile of bodies, badly hurting his back. Referee Doj Davies called time 5 minutes early as an ambulance was called. Fortunately it was no more serious than some bruising so he’ll be back next week to taunt the Hackney defence!

Special mentions go to Bradley Stevenson, Tyler Hone, Jamie Benevides and Dominic Seiler for tireless work, great tackling and inspirational work at the breakdown but this week’s man of the match was Harrison Davies. Simply his best all-round performance to date.


On arrival at the tournament, Pinner discovered that their group pool contained 2 of the tournament’s strongest sides, Aylesbury As and Buckingham. Coupled with Beaconsfield and Ampthill, this was always going to be a challenge, especially as this was the boys’ first experience of this format; and so it proved!

First up was Buckingham. With the matches only lasting 10 minutes, possession was paramount and a couple of missed tackles led to an early 10 – 0 deficit. A well-worked try, scored by Harrison Davies, was the culmination of some fine team work and was a just reward. Despite conceding 3 more, the boys fought back and an excellent solo run from Bradley Stevenson made 50 yards and a fine supporting run from Callum George led to him scoring one of our most impressive tries this season. Despite losing 25 – 10, we were all optimistic for what lay ahead.

Sadly, the excellent work of the first game was not repeated and led to defeats of 25 – 0 by Beaconsfield and 20 – 0 by Ampthill.

Following an hour-long wait for our final match, against tournament favourites Aylesbury As, the boys had nothing to play for but their pride, and play they did! Although Aylesbury ran out 25 – 0 winners, the score belies a titanic contest that we held our own in for much of the time.

The day brought some real heroes. Jonathan Hill showed his usual bravery by tackling anyone and everyone, despite picking up a nasty bump in the 2nd game. Adam Rees played with style and tenacity, as always proving such an asset despite his stature and Dominic Seiler, playing for every minute the team did, tackled and battled with his customary stoicism but two others deserved special praise. Making his Pinner debut and with scant experience under his belt, David Wilkinson showed what an enormous asset he will become to the team. He tackled, he rucked, he made ground and was utterly fearless throughout. Great things beckon with David in the team! However, man of the day was Ryan Beaumont. He competed for every ball and showed energy reserves none of us knew he had! With 10 Ryans, Pinner would certainly have been in the final!  A credit to everyone, he led by shining example and proved that forwards can run!

A great learning curve for us all that will hopefully lead to greater success in the future.

Brad Seiler

TEAM: Adam Rees, Ben George, Bradley Stevenson, Callum George, Daniel Villamil, David Wilkinson, Dominic Seiler, Harrison Davies, Jamie Benevedes, Jonathan Hill, Lewis Hughes, Matthew Andreon, Oscar Perillo, Piers Marx-Carr, Ryan Beaumont.

Sunday 21st March

Harrow U13s – 49 v Pinner U13s – 10

Up against it from the start Pinner found the pace of the Harrow back three simply too hot to handle for much of this match playing on a cloying pitch that sapped the energy from a young team.  Continuing to suffer from a list of injuries and absentees Pinner drafted in three players from the U12 squad Adam Stone, Jack Garraway and Lewis.  To their credit they soon found their feet didn’t looked out of place.

Conceding the now customary early score Pinner were soon ringing the changes using frequent rolling substitutions in an attempt to stem the flow.  The second Harrow try, however, was not long coming and Pinner looked in trouble.  Picking up the missed conversion quickly, Pinner ran back for the restart catching Harrow cold, Harrison Davies’s cleverly placed kick into space gave Adam Rees the opportunity he relishes, in the blink of an eye he out-sprinted the cover to gather the ball on the 22 and score for the second week running.  A rattled Harrow did regroup, however, to make the half time score 24 – 5.

The second half began in much the same vein with Harrow dominant and the wide players a constant menace running in four more tries before Pinner managed one of their own.  With Pinner backs using what little ball they had quite effectively they made several forages into the Harrow 22, and when Rees again spotted some space wide left he set off for what looked a certain score.  The Harrow full back had other ideas, and whilst he may not have had his kicking boots on, there is no doubting his pace and he hauled Rees down just short of the line.  Callum George, running a great supporting line, was able to gather the ball at the breakdown and burst over for his second in two weeks.

This was the catalyst for Pinner’s best spell when they re-established their self belief and tore into Harrow, tackling all who moved.  Jamie Benavides was outstanding playing at flanker with a tackle count second to none on the day, and Dominic Seiler rucked and mauled powerfully all game always looking for work, a fine example he set as Captain on the day.  The final Harrow try seemed a little unfair adding salt to the wounds of a defeated but determined Pinner.

Team: Bhogul; Marx-Carr, Rees, George C, Mahoney; Davies, Garraway: Beaumont, Perrilo, Seiler, Stevenson (George B), Williams, Andreon, Benavides, Stone (Lewis).

Sunday 14th March

Teddington U13s – 22 v Pinner U13s – 26

It was a long time coming but it was surely worth the wait as Pinner stormed back to win this terrific contest in final seconds thanks to a blistering sprint for the line from fully 40 metres out by scrum half Callum George after good work by Sam Williams and Ben George created just enough space on the blind side for that vital winning score.

Still suffering through injury and illness Teddington were generous hosts offering Pinner two players, Max and Oscar, to don Pinner jerseys and even up the numbers; each put in fine performances and truly played their part in the win.  It was clear from the first whistle these were two evenly matched sides, prepared to spread the ball wide through the hands in excellent playing conditions at Bushy Park.

Teddington broke the deadlock when their nimble 15 stepped inside to cross near the posts for a converted try.  A second try, this time unconverted, pushed Teddington out to a 12 – 0 lead that might have been more but for two try saving tackles from Jonathon Hill who was outstanding throughout on his debut at full back.  With Ryan Beaumont featuring in several solid forward drives and Harrison Davies at fly half making full use of Bradley Stevenson slotting in at inside centre Pinner began to force their way back into contention; when Stevenson powered through the midfield and offloaded in the tackle Adam Rees gathered and despite still having much to do he danced his way through the defence to score under the posts.  The conversion from Davies closing the gap further.

The game ebbed and flowed either side of half time.  Pinner fell further behind 17 – 7 when Teddington broke to score in the corner from turnover ball.  Pinner roared back with Stevenson taking a floated pass from Davies to burst clear from near halfway and score at the posts, the easy conversion bagged by Davies made it 17 – 14 and all to play for.  Teddington once more took advantage of some sloppy defence to pull out to 22 – 14, but when man of the match Rees once more latched onto a pass, this time from Bradley Smith, he accelerated away before cutting back inside to make the conversion easier for Davies and a score of 22 – 21 meant the game was on a knife edge.

Staunch Pinner defence held Teddington at bay, with the front row of Oscar Perillo, Daniel Villamil and Dominic Seiler showing grit and guile to take a vital heal against the head and set up a final attacking opportunity from which George scored the excellent winning try, much to the joy and relief of all concerned.

Team: Hill, George B, Rees, Stevenson, Oscar; Davies, George C; Villamil, Perrilo, Seiler, Beaumont, Williams, Max, Smith.


Sunday 7th March

Depleted Pinner suffer a Hammering  – Hammersmith & Fulham U13s v Pinner U13s

WIth Hurlingham Park bathed in winter sunshine and a dry pitch suiting Pinner’s running game expectations were good for a solid performance after a two week absence of competitive rugby, despite missing players through illnes and concussion.  It was clear from the close fought opening exchanges, however, that Hammersmith and Fulham had ideas of their own and began using their powerful three quarters to good effect.  Two, carbon copy, breaks from the half way line saw the H & F outside centre sprint clear for scores midway through the half.  A third try saw H & F move into a 19 – 0 lead and Pinner needed to rally quickly to avoid a repeat of the London Welsh scoreline last month.

To their credit they did just that and with Harrison Davies in fine kicking form were able to benefit from some H & F indescretions and set up a line out close to the H & F line.  A smart throw, from a well rehearsed training ground move, saw Daniel Villamil drive for the line and link cleverly with his fellow prop Dominic Seiler, the latter diving over to ground the ball in the corner for his first try of the season; and well deserved it is too.

Sadly on the stroke of half time Pinner were to suffer the loss of their Captain Tyler Hone with a suspected fractured collar bone after a typical brave pick and drive into the heart of the H & F forwards. It was blow Pinner could well do without and we all wish Tyler a speedy recovery.

With Matthew Andreon, Pinner’s sole replacement now on the pitch, they could afford no more injuries and battled on after the half time turnaround, hopeful the sun behind them might prove advantageous in putting H & F under pressure.  Alas it was not to be the case as a number of unforced errors and missed tackles gave H & F the impetous through much of the second half and Pinner conceded another three tries before posting their second score of the day.  Once more the forwards were to the fore mauling the ball deep into H & F territory for Bradley Stephenson to break blind from the base of an insuing scrum.  He looked likely to score only to be denied by a high tackle.  The referee baulked at awarding a penalty try but opted for a straight penalty. Davies tapped and went, darted for the line and though held a metre short he smuggled the ball to Stephenson who dived over to score; fair reward for another tough game leading from the front

H & F did manage the final score to put more gloss on their convincing win, leaving Pinner to lick their wounds and regroup for the last few weeks of the season, desparately seeking another win from somewhere.


Team: Mahoney, Benvanides, Rees, George C, Hill; Marx-Carr, Davies; Villamil, Perrilo, Seiler, Beaumont, Williams, Hone (Andreon 22), Smith, Stevenson.

Sunday 14th February

London Welsh U13s v Pinner U13s

It was always likely to be a tough ask visiting London Welsh on their own hallowed turf in half term week with the inevitable absentees, and so it proved.  From the start it was clear Welsh had some fearsome runners in the midfield and quickly asserted their authority on the game with a hat trick of first half tries.  Pinner were clearly unnerved by the shear strength of the opposition and simply weren’t allowed to settle.  It was time for the bigger boys to step up to mark and Ryan Beaumont and Bradley Stevenson tried their utmost to pull the team with them and lead by example.  Jonathan Hill, back from injury, was often to the fore coming in off his wing to help out courageously at every opportunity, though a number of the team struggled to find their way in such a physically demanding game and the tackles wilted as the game wore on.

Although outplayed in the loose, in fairness to the Pinner pack they remained solid in the tight throughout the match, never once being shoved off their own ball and frequently forcing the Welsh scrum half to feed crookedly to ensure they won their own ball.  The generous loan of Matt, Welsh’s rangy centre, made for a more even contest in the second half, although the flow of tries from Welsh was unrelenting.  Even in defence they refused to allow their line to be breached despite several minutes of sustained pressure from Pinner, midway through the second half, with Beaumont again to the fore only to be held up over the line.  Welsh regrouped and were able to quickly turn defence into attack; the opportunity to even glimpse a score seldom came Pinner’s way again.

Even in the face of such adversity there were moments to savour, Piers Marx-Carr selling an audacious dummy to the entire Welsh back line and darting through the gap he created from inside his own 22 was my favourite. Jonathan Hill bravely rucking over the ball just metres from his own line forcing Welsh to infringe on the floor allowing Pinner to clear their lines from the resulting Penalty and despite being driven back at a rate of knots by two Welsh boys Dominic Seiler bravely going to ground in text book fashion to enable Pinner to recycle the ball were both worthy of mention.

Having played Rugby for 36 years, and coached for a further two, I have experienced days like this before and probably will again.  Sometimes you come up against a side that is bigger, faster, stronger and vastly more experienced.  As an adult you take it on the chin, as an under 13 it can be a daunting and chastening experience.  The boys should not dwell on such events; they must take the good moments from the game, learn from them and move on.

Next week we will enjoy a training session at home in readiness for the match the following week against Hammersmith and Fulham when we will show them what we are made of!


Sunday 7th February

Pinner U13s  26, Twickenham U13s  41.

The opening exchanges had all the trade marks of a typical Pinner performance.  Renowned for being slow starters, some slack defending saw a Twickenham back rower take the opportunity to burst through a maul and run unimpeded to score the opening try; the missed kick was a small crumb of hope.  Pinner charged back at Twickenham after regathering their own kick and only staunch defending in the 22 prevented a deserved score when both Ryan Beaumont and Bradley Stevenson were stopped just short.  Against the run of play Twickenham were fortunate to run in another unconverted try from a breakaway by their impressive No 7.  Momentarily knocked out their stride Pinner switched off allowing a third Twickenham try, this one converted.  A 17 – 0 scoreline as half time approached was hardly a fair reflection of play.

Undeterred Pinner came back with a vengeance and began to take control in what was fast becoming a memorable match.  Bradley Stevenson broke through after strong work from Dominic Seiler and Sam Williams and was able to set up a solid platform in the Twickenham 22.  When the ball was recycled he was on hand again to cut back inside and score to the right of the posts; Harrison Davies’s conversion gave the score a better balance, 17 – 7 at half time.

With renewed confidence Pinner came out firing at the start of the second half and Bradley Stevenson bagged a second try as Twickenham were slow to react and he was able to weave through the tacklers and score between the posts.  The conversion drew Pinner closer still.  Confidence was now flowing through the Pinner ranks and after some slick handling in the backs by Callum George and Piers Marx-Carr, Adam Rees cut a fine angle to burst clear and outstrip the cover to score near the posts, with Harrison Davies comfortably converting Pinner found themselves in front for the first time at 21 – 17.

Any thoughts that Twickenham might capitulate were soon dispelled when their No 7 ran in another try to nose them ahead and their rangy centre added the fifth, the conversion put them 29 – 21 ahead.  Back Pinner came, though, with Dillon Mahoney and Jamie Benvanides prominent they gained good ground and after a spell of solid rucking and mauling won a scrum inside the Twickenham 22.  A pick up and dart down the blindside from scrum half Harrison Davies created a gap he was able to exploit to dive over for the score.  Hurt in the act of scoring he was forced from the field and Pinner had to reorganise.  Matthew Andreon showed his time on the sideline had served only to spur him on and taking a fine catch from the resulting kick off drove into the heart of the Twickenham pack. The ball recycled well and for a moment it looked like Pinner may create the score they needed.  In truth the run of ball never quite went Pinner’s way in the final minutes and despite a tremendous effort by the entire team characterised by two memorable tackles by Liam O’Riordan and Matthew Andreon Twickenham finally pulled away for two further tries from the No 7; by far their best player.

Pinner came away with their heads high knowing they had come within whisker of what would have been an impressive scalp.  Well done to each and every one for a fine display.

Team: Mahoney; George B, Rees, George C, O’Riordan; Marx-Carr, Davies (Andreon); Villamil, Perillo, Seiler, Williams, Beaumont, Benavides, Smith, Stevenson.

Sunday 24th Jan 2010


Versus Richmond FC (away) lost 35 – 12

A chilly but dry Sunday saw us venture down to the hallowed turf at Richmond FC. With possibly the greatest history of any rugby club, we all knew that it was going to be a challenge and we weren’t wrong.

Although missing our two most accomplished players, we started confidently enough but their mountain of an inside centre took an early opportunity to open up our defence and he muscled through to score an early opening try that duly converted. Unfortunately for Pinner this was repeated again some 10 minutes later and was to prove the pattern for their demise.

Following an animated half time team talk, Pinner pulled an early try back. Bradley “Hitman” Smith, Pinner’s No 6, picked up a loose ball and ran it over at the corner flag from just inside their 22. Harrison Davies’ conversion attempt, spot on for accuracy, dropped agonisingly short for a 14 – 5 score line.

Inevitably, they responded immediately with another powerful run through the middle from their own 10 metre line – try number 3 for Richmond and for Alex, the aforementioned No 12. Pinner fought hard and were rewarded with a great try for Matt Andreon, playing at No 7. He picked up at the 5 metre line and drove over. Now – one for the rule books! Harrison ran up to take the conversion but, instead, picked the ball off the tee and ran over the dead ball line and touched down! Once upon a time – that was 2 points! But have those rules changed? We’re still looking!

Unfortunately, Alex found a gap on 2 further occasions for a final score of 33 – 12. Pinner were better than that – it was an one man army that defeated them but it was a great learning curve. Some impressive performances from Tyler Hone, Jamie Benevides and Dominic Seiler and a solid team display. It’s a good place to start!

A much improved Pinner side travelled to Richmond and on a poor pitch played some fast running rugby to be proud of.  If ever there was an example of a one man team Richmond proved that theory ‘in spades’.  Richmond’s powerful and athletic centre, Alex, ran in every one of their 5 tries, scoring under the posts to make the kicks a formality.

Although never quite finding the answer to this Pinner stuck valiantly to the task and at the start of the second half got their just deserts when from the towering kick-off a determined chase saw Pinner arriving in numbers; the ball bounced off the surprised Richmond pack to Bardley Smith who pinned back his ears to out flank the defence and score in the corner.

A second score in the same corner cam after an inspired charge by both 2nd Rows, Ryan Beaumont and Sam Williams.  As the ball popped out sideways from the ensuing ruck Matthew Andreon was the first to react and dived over for the score.  It was great to see two new names on the scoreboard.

The resulting conversion offered a talking point when Harrison Davies harped back to years gone by and elected to pick up the ball and beat the charging defenders to cross the line and touch down.  The points were duly awarded sparking much debate as to validity of ‘converting’ a try in this way.  Whether it is confined to the history books or not it was a moment to remember.

Several promising performances from Tyler Hone, Jamie Benavides and Liam O’Riordan showed the way forward for the return of Watford next week.

Team:  Villamil, Perillo, Seiler, Williams, Beaumont, Benavides, Smith, Hone, George C, Marx-Carr, Hill (Andreon), George B, Rees, O’Riordan, Davies.

Watford at home next week – bring it on!

Sunday 17th Jan 2010

Versus Hertford Away lost 29 – 0

Due to cancellations caused by the extreme weather this was the first outing of the new year, and a tough prospect too, meeting both Hertford and Saracens on the same day.

Clearly rusty and missing their talisman, Bradley Stevenson, the boys started poorly and were soon trailing to a well drilled, though certainly not unbeatable Hertford outfit.  The old habits of missed tackles and missed opportunities contributed to a below par display, and something of a rude awakening, post the Christmas festivities

Sunday 17th Jan 2010

Versus Saracens (at Hertford) lost 22 – 0

The second fixture of the saw a marked improvement in Pinner’s all round performance in a hard fought game, the scoreline flattering Saracens.  Despite dropping behind to two early scores the boys rallied well to dominate play for a sustained 15 minute spell.

Camped in the Saracens half Pinner created two memorable passages of play which deserved tries though ultimately failed to deliver.  Sublime handling by Piers Marx Carr and Harrison Davies combined to thread Callum George through a gap.  The chase was on and when he was hauled down just short of the Saracens line only desperate defence prevented Adam Rees grounding the ball for the score the move richly deserved.

A second break by Piers Marx Carr, gliding through the defence lead to a series of attacking scrums only for a Pinner player, this time Tyler Hone, to be held up over the line once more.  A harsh lesson for both in the art of correct body position.  Sadly two late breakaways by Saracens rapid, replacement wing added insult to injury.

Team: Villamil, Pescarillo, Seiler, Williams, Beaumont, Benavides, Smith, Hone, George C, Marx-Carr, Hill (O’Riordan), George B, Rees, Mahoney, Davies.

Sunday 29th November

Spirited Pinner lose out.

Maidenhead 36 Pinner 14.

More awful weather welcomed Pinner U13s to Berkshire for the second successive weekend. This time out the opposition were the highly regarded Maidenhead team who proved to be as well drilled as expected; and yet in truth Pinner came away feeling somewhat disappointed not to got more from the game.  Terrific commitment and team spirit from the boys meant Pinner had the luxury of their entire squad of 18 for the very first time.

They were at the opposition from the very start, spurred on by some committed forward play where the power of the front five was always evident and with the driving runs of Tyler Hone at No8 they were soon camped in the Maidenhead 22.  Only poor handling let them down when a score seemed a certainty, and Maidenhead took full advantage to break away and score twice against the run of play.  Bradley Stevenson and Sam Williams showed the way with a series of driving runs and following several phases just shy of the line Ryan Beaumont finally drove over from close range for the richly deserved try.  The conversion followed and Pinner were right back in the game.  With barely 2 minutes to half time a second try looked a certainly when Maidenhead’s accomplished fly half intercepted a loose pass, strode up field and provided the platform for Maidenhead’s third try.  Turning round 17 – 7 was down was a bitter pill to swallow.

Shortly after the start of the second half that soon became 22 – 7 and it was hard to see the boys coming back from that.  Undeterred, however, Bradley Stevenson did just that, crossing for his 13th try of the season, an incredible haul in only six appearances.  Despite their best efforts the boys could not force another score but continued to play some fine running rugby; as they tired late on Maidenhead’s replacements were able to take advantage and run in two further tries for a final score of 36 – 14 which arguably flattered the hosts.

Eliminate the few errors and build on a number of solid performances and Pinner will soon be back to winning ways.

Team: Davies, Mahoney (O’Riordan), Rees, George B (Jamie), Hill; Marx-Carr, George C; Villamil (Andreon), Seiler, Beaumont, Stevenson, Williams, Perillo, Smith, Hone.

Scorers: Tries – Beaumont, Stevenson: Cons – Davies 2

Sunday 22nd November

A late cancellation by Grasshoppers saw Pinner on the road again; this time to Slough RFC who had gamely stepped into the breech.

Having arrived with a squad of seventeen (including new boys Dylan and Jamie who were making their debut for the team), Pinner found themselves in the unusual position of lending the opposition a couple of players to make up their numbers. Jonathan and Liam sportingly volunteered to don the Slough jerseys.

Absences in the Pinner scrum saw Oscar Perillo playing hooker and Dominic Seiler moving to prop.

As the teams were getting ready to kick off, the heavens opened.

Pinner were playing into the weather and the freezing, heavy downpour quickly blinded eyes and numbed fingers.

Despite the elements, Pinner started brightly enough.

But the first time they lost possession a Slough player simply picked up the loose ball and sprinted along the wing to score, untroubled by some half-hearted tackling from the Pinner side.

From the restart Pinner were better. Tyler running powerfully into the opposition half and a typically mercurial Adam, skipping past tackles and making ground for his team.

But once again poor defensive work quickly saw Pinner 14-0 down. A situation not helped when, all too often, unsupported runners were forced to ground and, with no other Pinner players nearby, Slough gained easy possession.

However, even with cold fingers, Pinner’s passing was encouraging.

It paid off when twenty yards out Dylan received quick ball and made a successful burst for the line, running in a super first try for his team.

Harrison Davis converted into the wind and despite the team shipping another sloppy try soon after, Pinner began to scent they had the beating of Slough.

Bradley Stephenson was at the heart of most of Pinner’s dangerous moves, running bravely at the defence and absorbing some painful tackles. His unstinting efforts were rewarded with a try and he was unlucky to have another held up over the line.

The end of the first half saw Pinner behind by a single converted try.

However the promise of playing the second half with the wind and rain at their backs lifted spirits considerably. As luck would have it, the rain, which had been torrential for thirty minutes, stopped and spared Slough.

It didn’t matter. Pinner had their tails up now. Passing was slicker and they were playing like a team.

Tyler Hone and Piers Marx-Carr both ran in excellent tries. Harrison Davies who had kicked well all day crossed the line at a dive.

Finally Callum George who had stamped his authority on the game as Team Captain emerged victorious from a thrilling kick and chase to the try line from thirty yards out, shoulder to shoulder with a Slough player.

It capped a Man of the Match performance by the Captain and a huge collective effort by the Pinner team.

Report: Brad

Weather of almost Biblical proportions could not dampen Pinner’s spirit in what was an excellent match throughout.  Choosing to play against the wind and driving rain and hail seemed to be backfiring on Pinner as Slough made the most of possession handed them by Pinner over exuberance, and ran in two long range counter attacking tries.  The conversions added to push Slough into a 14 – 0 early lead. Despite the worsening conditions Pinner’s application and pressure finally paid off when newcomer Dillon Mahoney showed a real turn of speed to outstrip the defence from wide out to score between the posts.  The old adage of being vulnerable immediately after scoring was fully exploited by Slough who opened up the 14 point gap once more with a third converted score from turn over ball.  Spurred on by Bradley Stevenson’s trade mark surging runs Pinner fought back again and after Stevenson was just held up over the try line a quick burst up the short side from fly half Piers Marx, to score wide out, narrowed the gap to 9 points at half time.

If Pinner were expecting the wind and rain to work in their favour in the second they were to be mildly disappointed as the rain stopped and the wind died down;  the reality was that the improved playing conditions made for a far better second half when Pinner’s superior organisation proved key.  Two tries from No.8, Tyler Hone, his second the try of the match from a pick up and sprint clear from fully 50 metres, saw Pinner into a deserved lead that they never relinquished.  Two moments of quick thinking from Harrison Davies created a try for himself (to add to his four conversions) and another signature kick and chase for captain on the day Callum George to dive on and score.

A consolation score for Slough in the dying moments was justified yet took none of the gloss off what was a fine and spirited Pinner performance that all the boys should be proud of.

Team:-  Davies; Mahoney, Rees, George B (O’Riordon 25), Jamie (Hill 25) ; Marx, George C; Villamil, Perillo, Seiler, Williams, Stevenson, Andreon, Smith, Hone.

Sunday 8th November

Pinner & Grammarians U13 versus Staines RFC

Physical Pinner just miss out

Pinner U13s returned form the mid term break with renewed spirit and raised their game both physically and tactically against a well drilled Staines team.  The opening exchanges set the tone for an even contest with the game ebbing and flowing almost with each passage of play.  Staines finally broke the deadlock with a hard earned forwards try after a staunch Pinner defence was finally breached.  Staines immediately took advantage of Pinner’s disappointment and lack of concentration to extend their lead straight from the kick off when tackling lapses allowed Staines centre to score near the posts.  A third try, just before half time, gave a rather flattering feel to the scoreline at 17 – 0 to Staines.

Undeterred Pinner dug deep and after a few tactical changes emerged a better balanced outfit in the second half when they put Staines firmly on the back foot for long spells.  A prolonged period of bruising forward play camped in the Staines 22 followed, illustrated Pinner’s determination.  This lead to Bradley Stephenson capping another fine, aggressive display with a well deserved try which brought his his team back into serious contention.  Chasing the game and with time running out Pinner played a risky open game and despite coming close paid the price when Staines broke clear in the closing minutes to seal the match.  To their credit Pinner never gave up and when quick thinking by Pinner’s player of the day, Harrison Davies, put Callum Gorge away in chase of an attacking kick to score in the clear it was no less than they deserved.

The final score of 24 – 10 to Staines belies what might have been with a little more discipline at crucial moments.  The team will learn from this close contest and look forward to their next match in fortnight.


Sunday 11th October

Pinner & Grammarians U 13 versus Watford RFC U13

P&G U13 69 – 21 WRFC U13

A superb all round performance saw Pinner run out handsome victors against a brave Watford team.  From the kick off it was clear Pinner were ready to make amends for the disappointment of the previous match and bounced back in style.

A first half hat-trick of tries by the unstoppable Bradley Stevenson with a further score from the fleet footed Adam Rees put Pinner in a commanding 26 – 7 lead at the interval.

The second half followed a similar pattern with Pinner playing excellent running rugby at every opportunity.  Forwards and backs, alike, were prepared to take the ball on linked well through assured performances from Callum George and stand-in fly half Piers Marx, who scored seven conversions in total.  Bradley Stevenson ran in an amazing 5 tries in the second half; one each to Tyler Hone and Oscar Perrillo put the gloss on a fine team performance during which every boy contributed fully to a thoroughly enjoyable match.

for more images of the match go to photo gallery – youth

match report: Doj Davies

Sunday 27th September

Harrow Youth U13 v Pinner Youth U13

Pinner travelled to Harrow on Sunday morning for a local derby against a strong and well organised Harrow team.  Despite having only a bare 15 Pinner agreed to play two shortened games of two halves each to allow Harrow to play their entire squad.  The first two halves were evenly contested with Harrow pressing home their advantage early on with two tries only for a determined Pinner to come back forcefully scoring a try through Bradley Stevenson (his third of the season) well converted from wide out by Harrison Davies.  Pinner kept the pressure up and with a little more ball may well have levelled before the excellent Harrow centre broke away to score a fine try and give a scoreline which arguably, flattered Harrow.

The second game proved to be a somewhat different story with Harrow’s numerical advantage allowing for regular substitutions that gave them the upper hand they were never likely to relinquish.  Strong running by Adam Rees and Jonathan Barrabell in the backs and Ryan in the forwards and some determined tackling throughout by the lion-hearted Jonathan Barrabell, Ben George and Bradley Smith was not enough to prevent Harrow running in six unanswered tries.  All credit to Pinner, who rose to the challenge and never allowed their head to drop; their effort level was something to be proud of.

Sunday 20th September

The U13 Youth team entertained Maidenhead RFC for their opening fixture of the season on a warm Sunday morning at Shaftesbury, putting in a performance to be proud of.  Playing on the first XV pitch in front of a good crowd of parents and visitors the boys played some committed and determined rugby against a well prepared opposition.  Maidenhead had the luxury of fielding both an A and a B team meaning back to back fixtures for the Pinner boys.

Undeterred they stuck well to their task almost holding their own in the two shortened games against the As, conceding five tries in all, whilst easily outplaying the Bs scoring two tries to nil. The benefit of the summer training sessions were clearly in evidence as both fitness and skill levels reached new heights.  The front five proved they will be a force to be reckoned with for all comers this season as they put the opposing packs under real pressure throughout, and special mention goes to the engine room in the second row from where Bradley Stephenson scored both Pinner’s tries.  The tenacity of the back row was encouraging especially in the final game when Bradley (Hitman) Smith found his feet and knocked down any Maidenhead players who dared come near. Special mentions in the backs to Jonathan Barrabell and Adam Rees who were immense in the tackle despite their size, and were always a threat with ball in hand sending a clear message to the rest of the team to have the confidence needed to spread the ball wide and use the abundance of pace and guile in the team.

Next Sunday sees the team go away to Harrow for something of a local derby.

report: Doj