Pinner 2nds vs Amersham 4ths

Hatfield were no more…. So Pinner made the trip to Amersham for the game that would replace Hatfield for the rest of the season. Having battled hard against a much stronger Amersham side in pre-season, Pinner seconds were looking forward to a tighter game this time around.

The opposition was made up of seasoned forwards and youthful backs and the opening minutes held no surprises for Pinner. The visitors were caught flat footed in defence as the ball was spun wide for the opening score for Amersham, giving Pinner an uphill struggle on an icy Saturday afternoon.

Unfortunately the opening minutes were to be replicated again and Pinner found themselves defending their line for a second time. A superb try saving tackle by Ben Moon was enough to stop the immediate try, but a few phases later Amersham crossed the whitewash for their second, adding the conversion compile Pinner’s problems.

The rest of the first half went from bad to worse as the tricky conditions for the inexperienced visitors meant that the limited possession was never truly capitalised on. However their spirit was coming through in defence and an increasingly committed effort meant that the half time score was kept to a minimum.

The second half started with a bang and the Pinner boys shocked the hosts with their resolve and determination. The forwards used their first taste of the ball well, with some excellent carries from the likes of John ‘Bow’ Petrella and Lee O’Callaghan. Amersham were forced to kill the ball to prevent the try and Pinner gladly pushed the ball into the corner, only for a refereeing decision at the line out to go against them.

The difference in the performance from the first half was night and day and the wind was in the Pinner sails. However Amersham were able to snatch a try against the run of play, much to the dismay of the disagreeing defenders. Now the game was a real arm wrestle, or more of a mud wrestle, as the pitch turned into an icy swamp. Handling errors were bound to increase, and they did aplenty, with Pinner’s error count outweighing the hosts.

The game ended too soon and Pinner were left wondering what could have been had they been able to win possession in the first half… However there were many positives to be taken. From both individual performances, and growing resolve in the much improved and far more competitive Pinner side.