Pinner increase their injury list during Kilburn match

March 26, 2012 by paul  
Filed under First XV Gallery

The League game between Pinner and Kilburn Cosmos was bathed in brilliant sun light on Saturday 24th March. There will be a match report as soon as as it arrives via the electronic medium of email. In the meantime here are a couple of photos to keep you going

Pinner out-muscled by Kilburn Cosmos

The strength of the Kilburn pack was soon in evidence for with 2 minutes of the kick-off they produced a strong driving maul that forced the home side back on to their own goal-line.  The ball was quickly recycled and the winger cut in to score the first try giving the visitors and early 5 – 0 lead.  Pinner fought back and with Cosmos trying the referee’s patients with a series of off-side full-back Mark Razzell was able to reduce the deficit with a penalty from 25 metres out.  Both sides exchanged territory and an exciting game seem in prospect but with 2o minutes gone the visitors won their own line-out on the P&G 10 metre line. Pinner’s defence was not organised, Kilburn broke through the middle and seem destined to score.  A  desperate tap-tackle by home no. 8 Bernie Richter appear to a save the day but the ball bounce free into a Kilburn hand for a score under the posts which was converted by their fly-half.  Once again Kilburn’s indiscipline nullified their good work. Obstruction form the re-start enabled Razzell to kick yet another penalty.  Kilburn now reverted to their earlier tactic with a driving maul from a line-out in the P&G’s 22 and forced over their third try which was not converted. On the half hour it was Pinner’s turn top concede a kickable penalty to stretch the visitor’s lead to 20 – 6.  With half-time approaching Cosmos were twice guilty of killing the ball when Pinner attacks threatened.  Razzell was successful with one of the kicks giving a half-time score of 20 – 9 to Kilburn.

The early part of the second half was fiercely competitive but Pinner were unable to capitalise on more penalties by the visitors.  With 20 minutes gone  home winger Fred Riley hacked up field only to find his kick gathered by the Kilburn centre who scored close in to stretch the visitors lead to 27 – 9.  Injuries began to appear with a nasty clash of heads. Soon the Kilburn full-back added their 5th try.  Pinner responded well and a fine break by Riley found no. Richter on hand to score the home team’s first try which Razzell converted.  P&G’s were reduced to 14 men having used all their permitted replacements.  This gave Kilburn more space to add two more tries.  However Pinner were not finished,  Kilburn conceded yet another penalty for killing the ball. This was quickly taken and passed to fly-half Chris Hall who scored under the posts.  Razzell added the two points on the final whistle leaving the score at 43 to 23 to Kilburn.

Pinner’s previous two wins had ensured that 2nd division rugby would still be at Hatch End next season but Kilburn’s fine win was not enough to put them in the promotion race.


Comments are closed.